Being and Such

 
Feed the Fish
Current Projects:
  • Blogging
  • Preparing for Graduate School
  • Researching how to get published!
  • Planning an awesome trip to Europe
  • Eating brains
Blog Better!
I am a self-taugh blogger. You can be too! Here are some sites I use regularly to help me hit that post button with confidence!
Friend's Projects!
This is where I showcase all the cool things my friends are doing! Our current feature is Ali Sabin! Feel free to visit her site: AliSabin Designs
In the News
The Power of Music
Friday, January 8, 2010

I have always felt a deep connection to music. Some melodies and cords seem to reverberate in the depths of my soul, uncovering my inner self. Exposing my vulnerabilities and inspiring me all with one simple verse. I find I can use songs to gain a better perspective on my life. The artists themselves rarely interest me, it is their creation I am consumed with. Some songs I must play over and over again until I can sense the sound before I hear it. It's a very organic and cleansing experience. One song can change my mood from frustrated to calm; content to sorrowful.
So powerful is my connection to some songs that I can listen to them and travel back to where I was at that moment in my life. Bush's "Glycerine" infers my pre-teen angst and how easily I could fall in love, and be hurt. Jewel's "Carnivore" is a bittersweet reminder that if I am not careful, I can break someone. Coheed and Cambria's "Everything Evil" is accompanied with my friend Alex and how he helped me rediscover my love for music in all forms. Mazzy Star's "Wild Horses" helped me define myself as a woman, and it was the first song I danced to with my husband. Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" will forever memorialize me as daddy's little girl.
There are times in my life when music has played a less imperative role. And as I remember them, I realized that these are the times I was most lost. The more recent being the months after my Dad passed. There was an emptiness in me that went beyond my mourning. I still can't listen to an entire Sarah McLaughlin song and I don't think I ever care to hear "Dust in the Wind" again. But one day, I found my muse again and I was settled. Music has been my Sherpa of life, and I am thankful. Maybe my love for music stems from an instinctual need to relate to others in my species. Possibly, it is a marketing tool designed to elicit a systematic response to sound-language combinations. Either way, my life is now and may always be defined by music.
posted by VCooper @ 3:00 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At January 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Love it! I have a problem with "Bush" and "pre teen angst" in the same sentence for it reminds me of how much older I am than you biologically. Other than that, I feel you. Pink Floyd depresses me as soon as I hear it...past life maybe?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
About Me

Name: VCooper
Home: Bogart, Ga, United States
About Me: I am an aspiring writer
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER

© Being and Such .Blogger Templates by Isnaini and Cool Cars Pictures