Being and Such

 
Feed the Fish
Current Projects:
  • Blogging
  • Preparing for Graduate School
  • Researching how to get published!
  • Planning an awesome trip to Europe
  • Eating brains
Blog Better!
I am a self-taugh blogger. You can be too! Here are some sites I use regularly to help me hit that post button with confidence!
Friend's Projects!
This is where I showcase all the cool things my friends are doing! Our current feature is Ali Sabin! Feel free to visit her site: AliSabin Designs
In the News
Social Suicide
Monday, February 1, 2010

I have been considering suicide, social suicide.

Now before you call in the doctors with the long needles and funny jackets, hear me out. In this internet based world websites like Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, and many others have taken over our lives. The idea of privacy has been redefined; as has friendship. While I don't mind occasionally spying on people I have not spoken with in years, they should.Through friends of friends, I can peak in on the lives of people I hardly know. I have the best view of the birthday cake, and can see the smile on every face. I think there is something to be said about not sharing every picture you take, not exposing yourself for the sake of being known.
I also hate the pressure I feel to check these programs for updates. If you had 5 minutes to kill and internet access, would you, and more importantly should you, spend it finding out what your "friends" are thinking. I feel like I am missing something if I don't know what everyone else is doing with their day. I find that sometimes I think in status messages, and that makes me feel a little dirty. When I was researching information for this post, I found that I am not the only person questioning the real value of my digital social life. Would ending it all be that detrimental to those I genuinely care about?
I have to wonder then, would my obituary include the death of my blog? I would think not. I don't write on here in the hope that everyone I know will read what I say and think: BRILLIANT! I write for the process, the purging.

If your considering Social Suicide, know this:
There are millions of us out there
And there is help.
If you can't do it yourself,
go here: http://suicidemachine.org/
Will you commit?
posted by VCooper @ 7:32 PM  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
About Me

Name: VCooper
Home: Bogart, Ga, United States
About Me: I am an aspiring writer
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER

© Being and Such .Blogger Templates by Isnaini and Cool Cars Pictures