Being and Such

 
Feed the Fish
Current Projects:
  • Blogging
  • Preparing for Graduate School
  • Researching how to get published!
  • Planning an awesome trip to Europe
  • Eating brains
Blog Better!
I am a self-taugh blogger. You can be too! Here are some sites I use regularly to help me hit that post button with confidence!
Friend's Projects!
This is where I showcase all the cool things my friends are doing! Our current feature is Ali Sabin! Feel free to visit her site: AliSabin Designs
In the News
Hallo from Amsterdam!
Friday, September 10, 2010
This post will be short because I am in Amsterdam!
When we first arrived in Amsterdam, I experienced a shock as we exited the train station and headed toward the city. Trams, trains, bikes, cars and pedestrians all greeted me in a sea of chaos. I have never been so scared and excited in my entire life. As I rolled my luggage in this chaos, I immediately sensed that the people here saw life very differently. There was no southern charm to be found. No smiles as I stared, my eyes screaming HELP! I was one of thousands. I choked backed my tears of fear and kept walking.

Luckily, our hotel was close and the man behind the counter was nice enough. I found him rude at first, but later I realized he was one of the nicer customer service workers I would meet in these low countries. Service is different than it is in the states. You are not a special snowflake that deserves everything your heart desires. I have come to appreciate this attitude toward people, making them earn your respect and help rather than automatically providing it.

I have also learned not to assume things. Sitting in a bar without a drink is rude, entering a coffeeshop without buying something is not tolerated, water is not free, and asking is always better. Back to water for a moment. You would think in a country that allows women of all shapes and sizes to dance in windowed doorways, water would be everywhere. Well it is, but only in the canals. You have to buy it, and with a group of 7 we are doing so by the liter! And then, because they can, you have to pay to use most public bathrooms. We learned that the women that "run" these pay to pee stations are given that job by the government. I guess there are worse jobs to have.

We are a group of 7 visiting this wonderful country and with that comes another set of challenges. I have compared crossing a nearby street to a video game. When we first crossed, we were just avoiding trams, cars, bikes and people. As the weekend progressed tourists with over sized maps were added to the mix. Since then, we have also had to avoid a four foot long musical instrument, a Indian chief in his full dress, scaffolding both against buildings and on the sidewalk and horses! Clearly we have been leveling up!

The train and trams systems here are amazing, something I wish we had in the states. Bikes have their own lanes, and they are quite wide. Bikers are still tempting fate, crossing bridges and canals with only the slightest of glances but it is different than back home(and not just because there are no teenagers driving SUVs). Small children sit in the bikes here, still arguing with their parents of course. It is simply daunting the number of people that flow through this city both on the streets and in the canals.

And with all these people comes noise, so much noise! Our hotel window overlooks a popular Irish pub, sex shop, church and several restaurants and snack stations. One evening while trying to nap after another long day of walking and exploring, our room was filled with the sound of bells. Luckily, this sound lasted for almost an hour. I have also been trained to jump out of the way as quickly as possible when I hear the sound of a bike bell. I fear for my life on a daily basis!

The idea of space here is another way I have had to reorient myself. Our hotel room is the size of a closet, with two twin beds against a wall. I'll post a picture later so you can feel bad for me. The stairs we take up to our room are so narrow and steep that I often find steps directly in my face. This city is not kind to the tall, and I am thankful for my stature! Nathan and Micah are constantly having to duck and are often face to face with doorways. The buildings here also lean, making you feel even more pressured by this city.

It took a few days to get used to all these things, but I have loved all the uncomfortable moments and learning situations! I have discovered so many new things and learned to view life with a different perspective. This is why we went on this trip together, to be more than a few educated 20-somethings from the south. Vondel Park and the Van Gogh museum have challenged my love of nature and art. The Anne Frank museum has reminded me that so many in life have suffered. The Red light distract has shown me a new side of human sexuality and loneliness. The shops have shown me what educated adventurers can really explore!
In Amsterdam I have laughed, cried and loved. I have stumbled, summitted and surprised even myself.

That is all for now! Enjoy some sweet tea, water from a fountain and free bathroom visits for me!
posted by VCooper @ 5:25 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At September 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Blogger brent said…

    ha! i should have warned you about the bathrooms and water. subtle, but significant differences. have fun!

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Blogger Gumarx said…

    I remember the pay potties in England, and someone coming into the bathroom in a BK and totally busting someone for using the restroom while not being a customer.

     
  • At September 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Blogger Ricky said…

    Sounds like an adventure to be had! I am living my world travels through you at the moment, and from the sounds of it, "We're" having a good time! BTW, I'll gladly drink some tea for you! :)

    --
    rickyzstorytyme.blogspot.com Check it out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
About Me

Name: VCooper
Home: Bogart, Ga, United States
About Me: I am an aspiring writer
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER

© Being and Such .Blogger Templates by Isnaini and Cool Cars Pictures